Whether you’re a solopreneur, a small business, or a large corporation, you need to create a content strategy for your business. Content marketing is one of the most effective ways to grow your business and connect with your audience.
But creating a content strategy for your business doesn’t happen overnight. It takes work and a lot of research.
Over the course of this article, you’ll learn how to create a content strategy for your business. We’ll start by discussing why you need a content strategy and whether or not you have the time and resources to develop one. Then, we’ll go over key components to consider when developing your content strategy. We’ll also share some of the mistakes that businesses make when developing a content strategy and how you can avoid them.
What is Content Marketing?
Content marketing is a marketing strategy that revolves around creating and distributing relevant, engaging content to attract and retain your audience. A content marketing strategy is a plan that explains how you will create content that is relevant to your audience while delivering a valuable experience. Why is Content Marketing Important?
Some of the benefits of content marketing include:
● Better conversion rates. When you provide useful information to customers, they’re more likely to purchase from you. ● Builds trust and credibility. When you provide value to your customers through content that helps them solve problems, it builds trust and credibility for your brand. ● More Inbound Links. The more valuable content you publish, the more inbound links other sites will build to yours. This is one of the best ways to build organic traffic from search engines. ● More social media shares. The more content you create that’s worth sharing, the more people will share it on social media, driving more traffic and potential leads to your site. ● More sales and leads. The more valuable information you can offer to prospective customers, the more likely they are to contact you when they’re ready to buy or at least raise their hands as a lead by giving you their email address in exchange for premium content like an ebook or webinar.
Key Components of a Content Marketing Strategy
There are a number of components that go into developing a content marketing strategy.
Determine Your Audience The first step in any successful initiative is to understand who your audience is, where they're located online and what kind of content they already enjoy consuming. Answering those questions will help you create buyer personas based on real data. You'll need this information to plan out the types of content that will be the most helpful and relevant for each persona.
Identify Your Goals If you don't know what success looks like, chances are you won't achieve it. That's why it's important to identify some clear goals for your content marketing strategy before you dive in. What do you hope to accomplish with your content? Is it brand awareness? Website traffic? Increased revenue? Once you know what metrics matter most, you can work backward from there to develop a strategy that helps you achieve them.
Define success Many people think "success" means "more traffic" or "more followers," but the truth is, there's no one-size-fits-all definition of success. Identifying what success means to your business will help you determine which metrics are most important to track (and which aren't).
Choose your distribution channels If you're just getting started with content marketing, you might be wondering where to focus your time and energy. Start with the channels that have the biggest potential impact on your business. For example, if you're selling a B2B software product, LinkedIn is probably a more valuable channel than Facebook or Instagram. And if you're an eCommerce store selling women's accessories, Pinterest could be a better bet than Twitter. Here are some of the most common distribution channels:
Blog Your company blog is one of the best channels for attracting new visitors to your website and converting them into customers. As you create content for your blog, don't forget to use keywords and link back to other articles on your site so it can rank higher in search results.
Social Media Social media is a great way to promote your existing content (like blog posts) and distribute new content (like videos or infographics). It's also one of the best places to engage directly with your audience and build customer loyalty.
Mistakes to Avoid When Creating a Content Marketing Strategy
Here are some common mistakes marketers make when creating a content marketing strategy:
● Not researching the target audience. When you don't know who you're talking to, it's hard to create good content. To create effective content, you need to understand your customers' pain points and how your product or service solves them. ● Failing to define KPIs. Having clear goals and tracking the right metrics helps you know whether your strategy is working and makes it easier to adjust course if something isn't working. ● Not making the most of existing content. Repurposing existing content gives it new life, which can save time and money. For example, an existing case study could be turned into a blog post or an infographic ● Focusing on quantity over quality. Creating high-quality content takes time, but it pays off in the long run. ● Ignoring SEO best practices. If you want your content to be found by search engines and potential customers, optimizing it for SEO is a must.
How to Create a Content Marketing Strategy for your Business
Creating a content marketing strategy for your business involves three steps:
● Step 1: Create a list of high-value topics and resources – the topics you want to write about, the tools you want to use, and so on.
● Step 2: Create a plan. Decide how often and in what format you'll post content, what type of posts to create, the order in which to publish them, how often and in what formats you'll promote your site using social media and email campaigns, and how much of your budget you'll allocate to each avenue of promotion.
● Step 3: Implement the plan. Now that you have created a content marketing plan, follow through with your plan by writing blog posts, putting them up on Facebook or other social networks, posting links on Twitter or LinkedIn, engaging people on forums like Quora or Reddit, or writing guest posts for other sites.
The more frequently you publish new blog posts, even if they are not particularly interesting reads themselves, the faster your blog will grow organically. The more links you send out via email campaigns (and don't forget about Google AdWords), the faster people will find your site. Conclusion
You need a content marketing strategy for your business because of the many benefits it has to offer. In particular, you want to use content marketing in order to build brand awareness, increase engagement with existing customers, generate more leads, and more. If you're serious about growing your business through marketing, though, you'll want to spend some time defining exactly what you want to accomplish.